Sunday, May 16, 2010

Brandy Lake Hike

I've never stopped at the Brandy Lake trailhead, although I pass it every time I take Rt. 28 into the mountains. After hiking Rondaxe (Bald Mt) and then window shopping in Old Forge, I thought... "What the heck? I still have some pep, and Jack is young and frisky. We have a few hours to kill before dusk... let's explore!" I probably wouldn't have acted on this if I knew the trail was a round trip of 6 miles!! Alas, it didn't look that long on my map... [famous last words].


I've never seen any cars at the Brandy Lake trailhead, and we were the only ones there this day as well (yay). The trail was fairly gentle, with a couple easy hills. Three miles in, three miles out.


LOTS of mushrooms/fungus around. I need to get a guide.

The first Jack-in-the-Pulpit I've seen this year (at least, I think that's what it is. I'd check my ADK flora book, but it's already packed in a box somewhere!)...


Brandy Lake was serene and beautiful. Unfortunately my camera has too-big a lens to capture anything but *part* of the shore...


Jack in the Witch Hopple... I love that stuff. It grows around waterways, lakes and rivers. It rolls off the tongue so nicely too. "Witch Hopple." :o)




I was SO psyched to find some Marsh Marigolds!!! They are my favorite wild flower, and I've only ever seen them south of Ithaca, near Danby State Forest. It was exciting to find these...


Beautiful patterns in the water along Brandy Lake...


After Rondaxe (about 2 miles), Old Forge and then 6 miles at Brandy Lake... we were pooped!! Cold and sometimes cloudy, but it ended up being a nice day.

Jen

No comments: