Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stalker.

The fence along the back border of our yard is a Squirrel Highway. Neighbors on both sides have ever-overflowing bird feeders, so dozens of little fluffy gray vermin make their way along our chain link every day, gorging themselves at one and then traveling to the other. Lucy used to occasionally get excited about them. Cliff has never shown interest. Jack? Well, that lil' pup is a true hunter. When he sees them, the stalking begins.





I know, I know! Amusing, right? It's so funny to watch him try his darndest to catch one, but fail miserably every time.

Well tonight I was poop scooping along the back fence and I found a tail. Um, yeah. A squirrel tail. At first I thought it was Cliff's squirrel toy, but I quickly realized IT WASN'T. IT WAS REAL. I was fascinated and appalled at the same time. I picked it up and saw the bloody stump at the end. Cliff came over, gave it a whiff, and snatched it out of my hands! I had to chase him around the yard to get it back (thankfully, given his disc disease, it was a short chase) and as soon as I got it, Jack grabbed it from me! I tried to yank it back, and we ended up ripping it in half. OMG, it was awful. I threw it over the fence into the neighbor's weeds. What the hell happened? Did Jack actually rip it off some squirrel? Was the squirrel running along the fence, outracing Jack, and got it caught in the chain link and it ripped out that way? There wasn't a body anywhere, soooo...

Oye, oye, oye--!


So much for the cute lil' innocent face. Unless the Spirit of Lucy Past came back, we know who's guilty around here...

Jen

6 comments:

Hiking Hounds said...

Wow, my boys like to chase them but they've never actually caught one yet. Sounds like it created some fun for them. Those are great pictures of him going after the squirrel. I need to get a new camera, mine would never take them so fast. You'll have to keep your eye open for tailless squirrels in the neighborhood. Poor little squirrel bum. ;-)

JeremiahRenne332 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen Krebs said...

Okay, that's really gross. I would have FREAKED out!!!

jcp said...

Sometimes we forget why they put meat in dog food :). This is a pretty good illustration.

逸凡逸凡 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

Wow, lots of spam. What happened to blogger's filters? I deleted the comments since they weren't in English... hope they weren't anything "real"~!

LOL, thanks all for the comments. Jack was pretty proud of himself! Even being a vegetarian (and pretty grossed out by it all)... I'm still very impressed with his prowess. I've been watching my neighbors' bird feeders and have not seen any tail-less squirrels... I'm assuming he was either scared off to Kingdom Come by the incident or a cat got him while he was down and out. :oP

Jen