Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Watch"dog- Finished Greyhound Linocut


Well, Jack's linocut is finished! Some glitches along the way. First of all, I couldn't get either of my presses to work properly (and my basement sump pump is also on the fritz, which is unfortunate because there is an underground spring somewhere near my house, constantly flooding the place... it is like a Mechanical Uprising here! No presses! No sump pump! God I hope the furnace isn't next, lol). Soooo.. I had to print these by hand, with a wooden spoon. It's hard to hand-print on thick paper like Stonehenge, so I used up the few sheets of Kitakata I had left-thin and wispy paper, really nice to hand-print with. I think one of the reasons the presses wouldn't work is because my block was lumpy. It SEEMS flat, but my glued-in head wasn't the same height as the rest of the carving (wth?)... and... well... it was just a pain.

I decided to call this one "Watch"dog, with watch in quotes because, well, greyhounds aren't really watch dogs in a guard-dog sense, but they are sighthounds and very visually perceptive... ha ha? Maybe?

I really like the way this one came out, even with all the head-bungles. And I did get some "noise" in the background... those carving marks that you DON'T want to print, but some always do... but that doesn't bother me either. I kind of like a little noise for good energy.

Anyway, my first print for 2010 is done- AND I'm happy with it- Hooray! Always good to have 'the first' under your belt...

Jen

2 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi jen!
oh i LOVE it! what a beautiful carving and print!

Jen said...

Thanks Melissa! :o)
Jen