Monday, January 25, 2010

It Makes Your Mouth Water....


 

Jack drools.

I can't believe it. It makes me laugh and gag at the same time. I mean a Bloodhound drooling? Sure. A Saint Bernard? Absolutely. But never in a million years would I think "drool" and "greyhound" in the same sentence-! I mean...they are thin-lipped, slim-muzzled dogs. Clean, regal, and... uh... well, whatever.




In the past couple months I've begun to get serious with training Jack and let me tell you, once those jerky treats come out... so do the water works. It doesn't take much to get his salivary glands worked up into a frenzy. Thank God I don't cook a lot, because the few times I've baked biscuits he's stayed around in the kitchen with pools of drool forming at his feet. I've begun keeping a paper towel handy while we train, just so I can wipe his mouth when things start to get out of control. 

All it takes are a few sniffs of savory aromas, and the 'magic' begins.  Sometimes the drool forms a bubble...

  

 

Other times it just coagulates into a foamy ball....

 

Other times, it drips....
 


....or falls down in long, spitty ropes.



Of course Jack mastered "paw" (shake) last month and with our training, he has begun to have a great working knowledge of "wait" but still needs a lot of practice and proofing to hold it. He's also learning "back" (back up) with Clifford's expert help. I wonder if I can train him to dab the corners of his mouth with a napkin at appropriate times-? ROFL.


Jen

2 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Katie is a big drooler. Put her in a sit stay and she starts drooling long strings in anticipation of a yummy jackpot!

Jen said...

Really? That's nuts. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a wet-mouthed greyhound lol!

Jen :o)