Saturday, January 09, 2010

First Piece of the New Year! Almost there...


I have been so bad about posting! Not a great start to 2010, aye?? I try to update my blog at least twice a week, but just didn't get to things... and I have a ton of stuff to put up too... sigh.

Last week (weekend?) I posted the above photo of all my MESSED UP linocuts of Jack. It's his darn face... How do you carve a dark brindle greyhound head without it coming out like a black blob?? How do you get the details with the black brindle greyhound turning into a red brindle or light brindle? You know what I mean. A couple strokes too many with the chisel and you totally change the shade of your dog. Ug. Of course, in these linocuts I carve the whole piece first, leaving the face (hardest part) for last... only to mess up... and have to start all over again.

Finally I thought... hmm. I'm just going to take a nice body, cut the messed-up face out, carve a new face, and paste it in. Will that work?? Sooo... I removed my piece of linoleum from the plywood backing block. Cut the face out and chucked it. Re-carved several new faces on tiny pieces of linoleum until I came up with one I liked...


...and fit it in, like a puzzle piece! I then glued the pieces back on the plywood, and filled the "seam" along the neck with wood filler from the hardware store.


Pretty darn close! A lot of trouble, but it worked out. And I spent all week hemming and hawing about the "ground"... I wanted to carve grass, but the texture competed too much with the brindling. I kept carving and carving until I finally made myself stop, lol.

And do you see my "chop", on the lower right? I designed it last year but never used it! I am going to from now on, starting with all my 2010 pieces. It was so neat to carve into the piece. It's the little things in life that are exciting, right? :o)

Last night and this afternoon I spent measuring/cutting sheets of Rising Stonehenge paper (my fave) into 15 x 11 pieces, and taping off my sliding registration board (the blue tape will show me where to line up my paper and block in relation to each other)...



Last but not least, my faithful circus peanuts, keeping me company while I work! Don't they look excited?? Lol.



I think I'll use my wood filler to maybe darken more areas back into Jack's neck. Not sure. Printing tomorrow...

Jen

4 comments:

runswithdog said...

The actual block looks stunning! I can't wait to see a print.

Hiking Hounds said...

I think it looks great! Really nice detail!

Caron

Katherine said...

An elegant solution, well described!
Anxious to see the prints.
Katherine

Jen said...

Thanks guys!

Jen :)