Monday, September 21, 2009

Hike at Chimney Bluffs State Park

We really wanted to take advantage of the last weekend of summer! It was such a beautiful, bright-blue sky Sunday- I packed up Clifford and Jack and headed northwest to Wayne County and Chimney Bluffs State Park even though we'd already been hiking on Saturday. I'd never been to this park before and although my hiking book gave it "4 boots" out of 4 for difficulty, and my neighbor said it wasn't hike-able with dogs, I decided to go anyway. Even if it was just to see the spires and not do a lot of hiking. I figured if it was too rugged (especially for Cliff) we'd just take some pics of the coast and then find another park nearby that was tamer.

No fears- the hiking was fabulous (very do-able for dogs- in fact we saw quite a few canine visitors!) and all three of us enjoyed ourselves.

According to my book Take a Hike: Family Walks in NY's Finger Lakes Region by Rich and Sue Freeman*, "Chimney Bluffs is a glacial drumlin cut to sharp spires, 150-feet high, by wind and wave action. Drumlins are long, narrow rounded hills of sediment formed when glaciers scoured the countryside. The last glacier to cover this are melted 12,000 years ago... the drumlin field of which Chimney Bluffs is a part, is one of the most extensive in the world, with over 10,000 drumlins."

I can't believe I've lived in this area most of my life and have never been to this spectacular place!!! It was perfect for hiking and wasn't that difficult at all. We did a 3 mile circuit which led along the bluffs of Lake Ontario, giving us spectacular views of the chimney spires. The trail along the cliff's edge was absolutely amazing. There were a few downed trees that we had to hop over (or crawl under) which made me a bit nervous for Cliff- he has a weak back end- but he was a champ. Cliff on the cliff, lol:

More of the chimney spires, with Lake Ontario in the background:


Clifford and Jack along the Cliff Trail:

Another view of the bluffs:

More spires:


Jack dips in Lake Ontario for the first time!

Clifford and Jack find the BIGGEST fish I have ever seen in my life. It must have become stranded on the shore and died? Seriously, it was huge.


Cliff on the shore: A tired, happy boy! :o)

We will definitely go back to this park again. If you live in the area (or are passing through) I HIGHLY recommend it!! Probably the most stunning park (and hike) I've been to so far.

Jen

*This is a fabulous book-two thumbs up-if you live in Central NY and love to hike, you need this book!!

3 comments:

sunnytia said...

Hey there - I've got a google alert set up for greyhounds in the news and your recent blog post popped up. Have been enjoying your pics and stories - what great dogs you have! I've got an almost-eight-year-old fawn male grey named Sullie and he's truly amazing. Thank you for sharing!!

Tia

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I think one day when I come back to NY for another Greyhound Specialty, you'll have to point us towards some good hikes.

Jen

Sarah said...

I am still amazed at all the places I have never been in upstate NY even though I grew up there! so beautiful!