Monday, August 10, 2009

Hike at Bear Swamp

I'm a bit behind on blogging. Sorry about that! Anyway... last Friday was the last Furlough Friday at my workplace... now we are back to a 5 day work week. My paycheck is happier, but going back to five days makes my poor heart cry lol.

Anyway, to celebrate our last furlough day, I decided to take Clifford for a 3.5 mile hike at Bear Swamp State Forest, one of our favorite places. It is in southern Cayuga county, very beautiful. I'm glad Lucy didn't come- she wouldn't have been able to handle it- we did the blue trails (almost 4 miles)- rather hilly- and ATVs were allowed on the blue trails so the MUD and POTHOLES were horrific. It is mentally exhausting to slog through ankle deep mud!

Cliff didn't seem to mind. In fact, he laid down in a few mud pits to cool off about mile 2- UGH! Clifford Rufin-! You expect to get in my car looking like that?? lol.

What a muddy butt!

Bugs were pretty bad- horseflies (or were they blackflies? I don't know the difference) swarmed us most of the way. We had to keep a pretty good pace so they wouldn't blanket us!

Even with the bugs and mud, it was a satisfying hike. There is nothing like being out in the woods with a happy dog!

Jen

No comments: