Monday, July 27, 2009

It's been a week or two....

...with no posts. Sorry about that. So what has been on the docket recently?

1. Lucy has been having some breathing problems. In hot/humid weather on our walks, she absolutely HEAVES for breath. Now we always do short walks and she choses the speed, so I know I'm not pushing her. For some reason, I feel that someone (the vet? One of my dog friends? My own mind?) told me this is normal for older dogs. But she has a vet appointment on Friday to check, just in case. She's also been on Deramaxx, an NSAID joint supplement, so she'll have her blood values checked. The Deramaxx is wonderful and now if I could only get rid of that dratted corn on her foot, she'd be as good as an 8 year old pup! :o) But I do worry about that heaving for breath. Asthma? Lung cancer? Emphesyma????? No, no, no!

2. Grapehounds. This weekend was Grapehounds, the annual greyhound event of the Finger Lakes. This year it was along the Seneca wine trail and all the vendors were together at Mill Creek Cabins in a large field. I vended my art and was set up next to some fabulous folks who helped me with my tables, setting up my EZ Up, etc. The attendence seemed way down from last year, but given the economy, I'm not surprised. I had a few sales, and saw some great folks I've gotten to know over the years and met some great new folks. Lucy spent the day with me Friday, and Cliff came with me Saturday. Mom helped me set up Thursday, Bridget and Trace kept me company Friday, and Dad came by on Saturday. I felt loved! :o)

3. Sad, sad, sad. Trace is moving to Florida this week, and I just found out my parents are moving away (they live about 10 minutes from me now). I am totally devestated by all this. To lose one of my best friends, and now my parents whom I'm really close to. I'm on the verge of a total meltdown... I don't take change very well. And I don't have a lot of friends. So I feel very alone all of a sudden, and kind of petrified and panic-stricken, which is silly because I'm an adult, but I can't help it.

4. Greyhounds in Art! I was again asked to show my art at the Greyhounds in Art Show in Dewey Beach, Delaware. I'm so honored but now the pressure is on to make 6 pieces of fabulous art. Pressure, pressure! And unfortunately my Dewey roomie, Trace, won't be coming and so I'll be going it alone with the pups. We'll probably camp this year at Cape Henlopen State Park. I love camping so that's not a big deal, although the weather in October in Delaware is always volatile so I'm glad I seem-sealed my tent LOL.

5. The garden is doing great, and I'm overwhelmed with all the veggies. But I'm afraid to eat my yellow beans, because some of them smelled like pee. I think naughty Cliff has been urinating on them. Can I wash them and eat them? Or does pee soak into beans? Will I get e-coli?

6. I entered two pieces of art in the State Fair art show. One is my woodcut "View from Heiberg Forest". The other is a piece I haven't made yet. LOL. That wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, because now I'm caving under the pressure to carve something. I have to drive them to Syracuse in 2 weeks so the jury can judge, so I have 2 weeks to come up with something fabulous. :oP


I think that's about it. I'll try to have a better post with more pics and other fabulous things soon....

Jen

4 comments:

gryphonkessira said...

on an upnote(if you havn't heard) Matt, Sara and I are moving up to NY...I know we don't have a greyhound, but we'll still have to schedule some hang-out time :-)

Sarah Regan Snavely said...

I hear you. Change = not pleasant. More time for art with fewer friend distractions? Just trying to put an upside on it...

Check for Laryngeal Paralysis - mostly manageable and not unheard of in the older hounds. My Esther had it. Good luck on Friday with the vet.

Victoria said...

I agree with Sarah....may be laryngeal paralysis. My senior grey had it, too...management was not a big issue! :)
Hope you keep us posted!

indigopotter said...

Hi Jen,

We're close by... you can always come visit us, and we can come visit you. I'm sorry it didn't work out last weekend, but there's always next time!

Carol, Sam, and Coco