Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Possibilities...


I am working on a woodcut for my Wetcanvas Printmakers Gone Wild Exchange (which I am coordinating as well- ta da!). I am thinking to do either a landscape of Bear Swamp (top) or a Green Heron with some swimming froggies. The Exchange is open to either- the topic (which I am now kicking myself for making so broad) is to do a print, relief or intaglio, based on a wilderness theme- landscape, wild animal, etc.
The Bear Swamp landscape bores me a bit. I mean... it would be a beautiful landscape (if I can make it work... ha!) but ... I dunno. The Green Heron and frogs would be more fun but also more challenging... I could do it in less colors, but there is more chance to goof up, I think. I've never drawn frogs or a Green Heron before. I'm terrified I will do something wrong... for instance... I remember hearing one time that a bird has 16 primary feathers? So do I HAVE to do exactly 16 primary feathers? If I fudge it a bit, will Real Bird People look at my Heron and scoff?? Will Herp people look at my frog and think, "Damn, what the hell type of frog is that?" or, "That type of frog doesn't live in the same region as a Green Heron!" etc etc?
Anyway, I am feeling rather nervous about it all.
Oh, and Lucy's woodcut? I have to do it all over. Messed up the fourth reduction but it has been giving me the Bad Vibes (something about those damn dandelions) for a week now so I'm Okay with starting over. (right? you're okay with it, right?). ARRRG- I HATE DO-OVERS!!!!! Just for the record...
We will see.
Anyway... votes either way? Landscape or Heron? And anyone wanting to give comments/critiques on these are welcome...especially if my Heron and frog are REALLY EMBARRASSING. I've been staring at them for so long now that I can't tell anymore.
Jen


6 comments:

gryphonkessira said...

If you're worried about fine biological details of the critters, then just stylise the print a bit and if anyone complains about feather numbers, tell them you took creative license.

PS: As a herpetologist I can tell you most northern species of frogs are pretty much identical unless you are looking at details too fine to recreate in a woodcut. As long as it's not neon blue or the size of a watermelon, I think you'll be fine.

Shannon MacGrogan-Ellis said...

I vote for the heron and frog, too! It's art - have fun with the critters and don't worry about being exact. It's not a photo, and the beautiful line work of your cuts is what makes your images so striking! Can't wait to see the final (no matter which idea you choose). :)

Kelly said...

The are both looking lovely but I would vote for the bird and frog...

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi jen!
oh the heron and the frog! i love them! i know there is a children's book in that drawing!

Katherine said...

Heron and frog.
Full of vitality and a sense of danger!

Carrie said...

I don't think I'm going to be much help....I like them both! I hate decisions. I can't wait to see what you come up with. It will be fabulous, I'm sure!