Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nothin' But a Good Time...

So on Friday, my good friend Kelly and I (and her hubby Mike!) went to go see Poison, Def Leppard and Cheap Trick in concert at Darien Lake. Cheap Trick canceled out (at first we heard that the lead singer broke his nose, but then heard their airplane was stuck on some tarmack and unable to take off). That stunk, but we had come for Poison and DL, so WE weren't disappointed, although some people really were.


We had awesome seats. And the concert ROCKED. I haven't seen many concerts in my day, but this one clearly took the top. Poison was my FAVORITE band when I was in middle school. I had such a crush on CC, the guitarist. :o) They played all their greatest hits, and dare I say they were even BETTER in person than on tape?? Well they were. For instance, "Talk Dirty to Me"- not one of my favorite songs of theirs. But live? Holy shit. And "Nothin' But a Good Time"... perfect song to play after a hard day in the office? That song is great anyway, but Brett, CC, Bobby and Rikki just fricking hit it out of the park!!! What an awesome, awesome show. Poison alone made the $150 tickets worthwhile!!


Then Def Leppard... and they were simply fantastic. I saw them last year at the State Fair with Kelly and her hubby Mike, and this year they didn't disappoint either. Imagine thousands of people standing on their seats, dancing in the aisles and screaming to "Let's Get Rocked" and you'll know what I mean!!!!!



I would totally go see this show again. Even if tickets cost $200 I would find a way to go. That's how good it was. Just fricking awesome.

But not to be outdone. Thursday evening, the day before this concert, my parents and mom's cousin Melanie and a friend of hers went to go see GORDON LIGHTFOOT in concert in Utica. Wow. Okay, I know what you're thinking. Culture shock, right? Gordon Lightfoot and then Poison and Def Leppard? Well, Gordon is another favorite of mine. It started as a youngster when my brothers and I would ride to Heckinger's Lumber in Dewitt and Dad would play his Gordon Lightfoot tapes on the tape deck. We'd listen to "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" over adn over and over. "Play it again Dad, play it again Dad!" we'd yell. And Dad, me, and my brothers John and Jeff-all crammed in the cab of his pickup- would sing the haunting lyrics and just imagine that huge ship getting swallowed by waves in Lake Gichagumee. So fast forward to 2009 and I get to go see him in concert!!! It was a great show. It wasn't dancing in the aisles/screaming bloody murder like Poison and Def Leppard, but it was absolutely wonderful in a calmer, more peaceful way LOL. Gordon's voice has changed over the years so it wasn't that deep melodic voice you're accustomed to, but it was fantastic, just different than his CD's. He played a lot of tunes I didn't know but the culminating song was, of course, Edmund Fitzgerald. And he was a great showman, joking with the audience and telling some tales about how his songs got written.

Here's the funny part. We stopped at my Grandpa Mack's house before the Gordon concert- he lives a few blocks from the theater. Let's just say Grandpa is not a music person. "You drove 80 miles to listen to jungle music?" he kept asking. LOL!!! Mom, Dad and I tried explaining that Gordon Lightfoot was a folk musician. "Bah!" Grandpa replied. "It's all jungle music." Dad leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Jungle music? If only Grandpa knew about you going to see Poison and Def Leppard!" ROFLMAO. Yeah.

Two weeks, and Whitesnake (and Judas Priest) are coming to Canandaigua, and I soooo want to go. I LOVE Whitesnake, they, Poison and Motley Crue were my faves in middle school. "Still of the night! Still of the night! Still of the nigggghhhhttt..." Well, we'll see.

Jen

No comments: