Friday, June 12, 2009

Heron and Frogs- Sketch in Progress...

Thanks everyone for your input- I am going to go with the Green Heron and Frogs for the "Printmakers Gone Wild" exchange! Although I just re-sketched my heron (I'm on lunch break at the office)- I think this pose is a bit more exciting and dynamic, don't you think? And a bit more heron-like (compared to the demented mutated chicken/heron hybrid in my drawing from the other day! LOL). Needs a bit more work, but I'm getting there.



I just ordered a poopload of Golden Cut Linoleum (or is it Wonder Cut? It's one of the brown linoleums) from Dick Blick. I have been using MDF as carving material for the past 2 years but I'm finding MDF a bit restrictive because I have to go to my parent's house to cut it. And my father refuses to let me use the huge Circular Saw machine to cut it myself, HE has to use it because it is "dangerous." Now granted, I just turned 32 yesterday, I'm not a kid anymore!!! Dad, it chaps my hide that you won't let me use the Circular Saw myself! But then I remember that 3 years ago I ran my hand through the sewing machine and my finger was impaled by the needle (accident, I wasn't paying attention) and then last year I ran my hand through my steel printing press and my fingers were crushed between the steel bed and steel roller (accident, I wasn't paying attention) and I think, "well, maybe Dad is right not to let me use the circular saw" LOL.






Anyway, Linoleum should be easier for me to cut at home (using a manageable x-acto knife) and it SMELLS absolutely DELIGHTFUL (almost as nice as the smell of oil paints and mineral spirits and turpentine) so I'm pretty excited. Debating to do the Reductive method which is my usual OR try multi-block... which would make it easier if I have goof-ups because then you just re-do the block you've goofed... you don't have to start over from the beginning... and I am the Queen of Goof-Ups.


And speaking of birds and linocuts, I just ordered this book. Doesn't it look fabulous?? It has just been reprinted- been OOP for several years- I am stoked. Looks really inspirational.

I have a boatload of photos at home to upload to the blog but unfortunately my Wireless Router cords suffered some damage upon encounter with a renegade boxcutter during my downstairs bedroom renovation this week (again- it was an accident)- so I am currently off-line after hours. Hoping to find a new cord at Staples this weekend.
Anyway, that's it for now. Ten more minutes of lunch break to work on the frogs!
Jen


4 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi jen!
oh what a great heron!
i cannot wait to see the frogs!
this book looks wonderful. i will go an check it out now!
:) m

Shannon MacGrogan-Ellis said...

Beautiful heron sketch! And happy birthday! Mine was Monday. Yay for Geminis with Greyhounds! :)

Constantina said...

Ooo, I love linocuts. Love, love, love. Also, you want in on craft night at my place? Most of us knit, but you can come do whatever...

Sherrie Y said...

Hi Jen! Somehow I've been out of the loop for several weeks, and just discovered your print exchange. I'll see if I can come up with something... I need some motivation!

Thanks, too, for the heads up about the Gillmor book. I've been trying to find it for a while, but out of print editions have been out-of-reach expensive.