Sunday, May 17, 2009

American Coot Woodcuts- Third and Fourth Reductions

Last week I posted about my newest woodcut, a few American Coots. I was happy at the progress I had made thus far. Welllllll.... things went downhill from there. Third reduction came out rather... ugh:




And the fourth reduction, which I just finished tonight... OUCH:



I almost didn't post this, because it came out soooo bad. But everything is a learning experience, right?
  1. I got a little too anxious towards the end of this, and carved away WAY too much because I was in a hurry, hurry, hurry to get this done.
  2. The water kind of kicked my butt. It was the first time I carved water though, so I can't be too hard on myself.
  3. The coots. Okay, they came out bad. I didn't want them to come out totally, 100% anatomically correct, but in my quest to be... expressionistic... they came out really poorly. They don't look like coots. They don't even look like ducks. The black & gray shading is really bad because I don't know the bone & muscle structure of birds and probably should have studied it a bit before going at my MDF gung-ho with the carving chisel.

So in the end, this woodcut edition will be going in the recycling bin. Better luck on the next one??

Jen

2 comments:

Eraethil said...

I know how it feels to have something not turn out like I wanted, so I can relate.

BUT this turned out better than you think - it does read quite nicely as coots swimming among the weeds. I like the composition and the expressionist rendering!

Amie Roman said...

I agree. And remember - you can always add back detail if you wish by having another block carved separately! Maybe use bridog's foam insulation carving technique :)