Sunday, March 29, 2009

Weekend Biz & Twilight

Bridget, Trace and Jo

Malcolm, Lucy and Cliff


Potty Break-5 of the 8 pups in Bridget's backyard



Bridget with Cliff, Maggie, Cosmo, Mal, Sophie and John- wiping paws! Rimmy was still lollygagging outside and Lucy was on the futon beind me. :)


Weekend News ("news" is stretching it, though):
On Friday I was stoked to arrive home from work and see my Dick Blick order had been delivered.... lots of paper and my Z*Acryl Litho plates! Yippee!

After a quick check of the packages, Lucy, Cliff and I packed into the Scion to spend the evening at Bridget's house, having a wonderful dinner with her, her big sister Jo, Trace, 8 greyhounds and 2 husbands (who spent most of the time watching some sport on TV. Basketball maybe?). I forgot my nice camera- only had my pocket camera- so the pics didn't come out too good but we had a really fun night! Lucy behaved herself wonderfully. Cliff was his usual happy self and seemed to love hanging out in a sea of greyhounds. He didn't even try to steal food off the table, so I was very proud. Jo had flown in from Ohio for the weekend and it was so nice to meet her, and of course see Bridge and Trace too! I didn't get home until almost 11, and I am usually in bed by 8:30 so that was quite an evening for us LOL.


Saturday we all met up again (minus men and greyhounds) to shop at the Outlet Mall in Waterloo. We had a fantastic time and did our parts to stimulate the economy LOL. Bridge, Trace and Jo all found some great stuff. I got some clothes for work at Eddie Bauer and Coldwater Creek, some shirts and cargo pants for around the house and was happy to find a nice pack for day-hiking. I've been looking for something just large enough to fit my camera, telephoto lens, cell phone, keys, compass and poop bags, and I found it! I'm kind of picky about my bags- all I need to do is find some kind of patch to cover the "Eddie Bauer" logo because I hate wearing stuff that has the store/company/designer name on it- makes me feel like a prep? I just flash back to middle school where all the well-to-do kids showed off in their hundred dollar Guess Jeans and the rest of us minced around in our brandless cheapies from K-Mart. I think that scarred me for life, LOL, although I think middle school scars everyone. ;o)


I meant to try out my Z*Acryl plates this weekend too but unfortunately Bridget lent me 4 books, the "Twilight" series, and man they have eaten up my whole weekend outside of our shopping trip and a few dog walks. I've heard a lot about them over the past year and wanted to try them, even though they are teenybopper romances (and anyone who knows me, knows I am the most un-romantic person in the world, EVER). The fact that they have vampires and werewolves involved have totally made up for the romance part, though. I have eaten through Book 1 and most of Book 2. They are incredibly addictive and fairly well-written although in some parts, not very plausible. Okay, they have vampires and werewolves, which aren't plausible, but beyond that... Book 1 centers around a girl who moves to a new high school and eventually falls in love with an albino kid who is 1 of 4 vampires at the high school. The vampire kids have, of course, lived for centuries but at this time are just living in the area pretending to be school kids. 1) The main character, Bella's, experience moving into a new high school didn't ring true at all to me. I moved to a new school in 9th grade and just... well... I think the author must have never had that experience because it was just beyond cheesy and WAY too easy. 2) It is explained, over and over, that the vampires love the smell blood. In one science class, the project for the day is pricking their fingers with pins to test their blood type, so the vampire teens skip class so they don't go apeshit and start killing everyone. And at one point, Bella visits her boyfriend vampire at his house and gets a paper cut, and all the other vampires go apeshit because of the tiny bead of blood and try to kill her (or have to really restrain themselves from killing her) -the smell of the blood was so 'delicious' to them. So methinks, how do the 4 vampire kids attend high school and walk among dozens of menstruating females on any given day of the month?? How come they don't go apeshit over that? I mean, not to go all Judy Blume or anything, but as a book written for teenagers shouldn't this be explained? Wouldn't it have been more plausible (and easier) for the blood-crazy vampire family hang out in, say, a nursing home atmosphere with post-menupausal women?? It really seems that the author, when crafting her characters and plotline, missed this huge... glitch... in reasoning. Or maybe I'm just the one sicko reader in the world who would remotely think about it. :oP Dunno. Anyway... beyond that, I'm totally addicted to the books (and, yes, secretly hoping the Vampires-Who-Go-Crazy-Over-Papercut-Blood-But-Ignore-Period-Blood thing will be explained in Book 3 or 4, ROFL.
And now it is almost time to watch Amazing Race and Celebrity Apprentice. And then I will read some more, go to bed, get up tomorrow morning, and another work week will begin.
Jen

No comments: