Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hola, Estoy aqui....

I try to blog several times a week, but haven't gotten to it since the weekend. The main reason being that I have been in a huge funk, kind of a "I suck at everything and might as well end it" funk. Mom says I take everything too seriously, and she's right, so I'm going to try to re-arrange things on the emotional front I guess.

Anyway...

No great reading lately. I have a bunch of "philosophy" books (not my usual thing, I admit) I got from the library - kind of the zen of art, restoring your creative self, etc. etc. One is called Drawing on the Artist Within by Betty Edwards and lists the Stages of Creativity, which was kind of interesting. Per German Physiologist and physicist Herman Helmholtz, in the late 1800's: Stage 1- Saturation (research), 2- Incubation (mulling- over), and 3-Illumination (sudden solution, a-ha!). This was then succeeded by Jacob Getzel (1960's) who thought a stage preceeded saturation... a preliminary stage of finding and formulating. "Getzels pointed out that creativity is not just solving prooblems of the kind that already exist or that continually arise in human life. Creative individuals often actively search out and discover problems to solve..." So LOL, does this make us Nosy Nellies??? That could explain a lot...

Well anyway.

The reason I picked up some of this philosophical babble is because I have felt a bit confused with my art lately. Not confused, so much as... wanting to go in another direction?? Maybe a tad more illustrative/illustration-like? But I feel very torn at doing this. There has always been a "fine line" out there between Fine Art and Illustration, kind of like that fine line between Art and Craft, and I have this ingrained dread that if I get more illustration-like then I will be bastardizing my art in a way?? But I want my art to tell more of a story, not just be a greyhound portrait. I want to get more into single-color woodcuts to explore pattern and design and composition. I want my art to be more... naive in a way (NOT whimsical, I hate that word) and more visually interesting... but I have been trying to build a portfolio of cohesive art for so long... I feel bound to keep on that road instead of trying something so new and different... I don't want someone going to my website and looking at the gallery page and thinking, "Cripes, it looks like 5 different artists made these images." I mean, as an art student I was taught all along to develop a personal style and to plug away at being identifyable. It's kind of stuck in my brain after all these years.

I guess that is a stupid problem to have. I finally just decided to experiment anyway- it's not like I'll ever be Monet or Van Gogh, so who cares if I have a few different styles or looks? Nobody. Exactly.

Tonight I'm trying to muster the ambition to go to the Third Thursday Art in Syracuse... visit some galleries and museums... try to drum up some inspiration. Lucy and Clifford will accompany me, and I have exactly $5 left in my purse so they can get some hamburgers for dinner at McDonalds or Burger King. I'm trying to find a safe city park for us to walk in so that they can get their ya-ya's out and then settle in the car while I visit the galleries.

That is my boring post for today...

1 comment:

Sherrie Y said...

Ah! Not so boring! Universal, perhaps! Just ask anyone around ME about how fun it is when I get into Serious Funk Mode. And I understand your struggle... I think it's related to the one I'm in. I'm trying to get OUT of all the contract illustration work I'm doing and steer my own work towards something more personal. But how the heck to do THAT? And do I really have anything interesting to say?

(sigh) I'm with ya.

Going to the galleries was a good idea...