Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Etchings

I picked up my etchings from my Etching 101 class and finally got them scanned.

Lucy, done in a soft-ground etching:


Lucy, done in a hard-ground etching:

I love the linear aspect of etching; the fact that I can do a drawing in ground and have it print as a drawing... not a drawing-into-carving, like a relief print. But the process is so complicated and with the strange chemicals and grounds, I'm not sure I could do it at home.
Maybe some day I could explore some less-complicated 'linear' printmaking techniques it a bit more, at home. I'm thinking of plate lithography or even drypoint...
Jen

5 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi jen!

these are fabulous!

i think you woudl love drypoint.

i tried it at artcamp and we etched into styrene plastic. it was so fun. i even used the dremel tool for the larger dark areas. i had a blast and we printed with akua waterbased inks so no icky chemical involved!

clean up is with soap and water!

here is what i made...
http://pugnotes.blogspot.com/2007/08/anderson-ranch-2007-i-had-amazing-time.html

Amie Roman said...

Love these, Jen. They're beautiful, and very successful prints.

Amie Roman said...

I just looked again - the first has a real "old masters" feel to it; well done!

Belinda Del Pesco said...

Absolutely beautiful. I can't want to see more.

Eraethil said...

Those really turned out beautifully! Especially like the textures and values in the soft ground etching.