Sunday, February 15, 2009

Loki & the First Ladies- Woodcut


A few weeks ago I mentioned the woodcut I was "hatching" (ha ha) based on the playdates my friend Sarah's pet rabbit and hens have together. Well after a bunch of sketches and noodles, I finally have it designed and on a block of MDF.


(And yes, that is an Andes Candies wrapper - I am guilty! LOL. I remember my Grandma Zalewski always had Andes candies for the grandkids at her house. I hated them because of the minty-ness but hey, sugar is sugar and I always ate sugar that was offered to me ROFL. And then years later -she passed away in 1989- I got a box of Andes for Christmas and have been steadily eating them ever since.)
Anyway... This is going to be a one-color woodcut. I'm thinking of calling it "The First Ladies" or something similar since Sarah and her dh Josh named all the hens after President's wives. :o) And I am going to order some thinner & beautiful Japanese or Nepali papers to print this on- perhaps Kitakata or colored Lama Li? Or maybe take a day trip to NYC and pick up some papers down there?


It feels really good to be back to Woodcuts after my etching class. Etching was so fun, but mentally taxing. There is SO MUCH to remember. So many steps with the acids, etches, de-greasing, etc. I love the linear quality of the etchings though so I'm looking into trying plate lithography and might pick up a pack of plates when I special order my paper. (Speaking of etching- I will hopefully have my prints this week. Since you print etching on wet paper, the paper curls when it dries and so all my prints are at the shop getting "straightened." I'll pick them up later this week I think).

Can't wait to see how this one turns out... and meanwhile, back to my Cottontail woodcut (*finally* carved out all the white areas for the first reduction- now have to cut paper) and I have another woodcut ready to go - a landscape from Cliff and my travel to Heiberg Forest last week. And greyhounds? Yes! I'm in the sketching stage of a greyhound print too. This one will be bigger than my press allows so I will be hand-printing this using the back of a wooden spoon - my "poor man's brayer" LOL.

I don't know why but I am just teaming (or is it "teeming"?) with creativity & ideas and can't get them down fast enough. No complaining about that. :o) More to come.... now, off to make dinner. I really need to start eating better so my Food Challenge this week is to have green veggies at EVERY meal, including breakfast. That will be a challenge! I would rather eat sugar and carbs LOL!. And then... PREMIERE OF AMAZING RACE, WOO HOO! Of to the races... :o)

Jen

5 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi jen!
oh emmitt and i missed you guys!
happy belated valentine's day!
i love your new work!
xoxoxo
melissa

The Constant C said...

That is so sweet!!! Have you ever thought about illustrating children's books? I know kids aren't your favorite, but you wouldn't actually have to interact with any. And they'd appreciate your art (into adulthood!), I promise.

Sarah said...

I am just so excited to see the final print. My girls and Loki (who also is a girl!) look so adorable! nice job Jen...

anne bryant said...

Hi there, I found your blog by searching for greyhound blogs. I love your artwork and your etsy prints, especially the sock monkey. We adopted our first greyhound last summer and he is such a big sweetheart. He is definitely not our last! :)

Jen said...

Hi everyone... thanks for your kind comments!

Melissa- Welcome back! Hope you had a nice trip. :o)

Tina- I've actually been thinking of doing a book (or chapbook) with illustrations, maybe not directly for kids but more of an art piece? Not sure.

Sarah- I can't wait to send you a final print! I hope you like it. And LOL, I didn't realize Loki was a girl, I always think boy (Tone Loke) for some reason!

Anne- Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm glad you enjoy it! Aren't greyhounds wonderful? :o)

Jen