Monday, January 19, 2009

In the Knitting Department...

Back in December, I had posted about how I was learning to knit so I could make a bear for the Mother Bear Project. Well..... my bear has been long done, and I have started another! Here is Bear #1, and the "carcass" of Bear #2:

Pretty soon they will be on their way to Africa, to make a little boy or girl happy! I have bought a few more skeins of colorful yarn to begin my next ones, too. Knitting is so... zen. I just love it. :o)

In addition to learning how to knit a regular stitch (garter stitch), I have also learned to purl stitch. Alternating rows of a garter stitch and then purl stitch makes a stockingnette stitch. I have been practicing my my garter/purl=stockingnette by making a thin scarf for work:

Lucy was not exactly happy to model my scarf, but she is a fantastic at keeping me company while I knit in the evenings. She lays on the loveseat with me and keeps me warm, or if she takes up the whole loveseat then I sit on the floor next to her, and she kneads my head with her feet. I adopted Lucy when she retired from the track at 5 years old, and it's only been recently that she has become so... touchy-feely. In days of yore she was always very independent and indifferent to me, which I found kind of sad in a way. But within the past 18 months or so she has gotten so affectionate, snuggling with me in bed and nestling up with me on the couch- often laying with her head in my lap (!). She comes to me SO much more for pets and scritches. Half of me wonders if she is preparing to die and wants to make amends with me before she passes to the Great Beyond, ROFLMAO! What's up, Lucy? Is old age taming the beast? :o)

Jen

3 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi jen!
oh my gosh! i love your bears!!!!
they are wonderful! isn't shopping for yarn fun?
great job!
xo
melissa

Jen said...

Thanks Melissa... yes, it is addicting. TOO addicting LOL.

Jen

Jen said...

Thanks Melissa... yes, it is addicting. TOO addicting LOL.

Jen