Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cottontail, Take Two

After almost three years working in relief printmaking, I've come to realize that when I start feeling... wonky.... about a piece, it's better just to stop and ditch it. That's what's happening with my new Eastern Cottontail woodcut. I started carving and something just didn't "feel" right. I don't know if I was already tired of it, or I was mad at the rabbit (he seemed to be more jackrabbit-ish than cottontail-ish, the more I looked at him), or if the wood was just giving me some bad juju. Either way, after a few half-hearted chisels, I scrapped it.



I re-drew my rabbit and gave her some new surroundings. I'm still a little nervous to start carving this (because of all the shadows I'm going to have to make in the snow-hard!) but the block definitely has a better "feel" than the last one.


I don't know if other artists have that good feeling/bad feeling when they start on a piece, or if I'm just losing my tentative grip on sanity, but some pieces really just seem to give off better "auras" than others. Strange.

Jen

No comments: